Thursday, October 9, 2014

The life of a sister in the MTC


Hi everyone,

Our District

This week hasn't been the best week I have had here at the MTC. But another week down, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. My MTC stay is almost over!! Yahoo!! Don't get me wrong, I love the MTC, but I am just ready to go roam the streets of Spain searching for those who haven't been blessed with the gospel yet. The only thing that worries me is the language... I was about to tell you all how it is coming, but since Spanish drives me freaking nuts, I just won't even go there. To put it simply, Spanish hates me, and I really,  really,  really am trying so hard to learn to love it. But it will come. I know it will. I wouldn't be here if the Lord didn't think I could learn the language. 


My sick day and by the way, I'm learning to play the ukulele 
Well last weekend was conference weekend, and it was incredible. Conference in the mission field is amplified. It has been one of my favorite experiences out here. But other than conference, my week was rough. A stomach bug decided to make its rounds with some of the missionaries here, and apparently I was the perfect candidate for it. I woke up Tuesday morning puking my guts out with a sky high fever... it was disgusting. So I was locked in my room all day to be deprived of food and human communication. But it was definitely a blessing in disguise. Because I got sick I was able to get some decent sleep and give my body a chance to relax. I was able to study, so that's always a plus. Fortunately my sickness only lasted a day, and no worries I am fully functional now. 



Me and My Best Friend Sister Lee
I know last week I complained about sister missionaries not playing sports passionately enough, but this week I realized that the elders take the game a little too seriously. We have some Russian Elders here that we get to play sports with, so brilliant me decided to play in a game of soccer with them. Well Russians are ruthless and mean. They don't care if you are a girl or a guy, they will play you like a true enemy. So in the midst of a friendly game, I had the ball kicked to me, when out of nowhere a Russian Elder the size of Taeten body slammed me out of nowhere, shoving me to the ground... well I wasn't very happy. He didn't even say sorry! So me being the sweet innocent girl that I am, jumped up, chased the guy down, kicked the ball away from him then proceeded to grab him by the shirt and throw him to the ground. I then ever so politely said, oops, I am so sorry, that was an accident. Everyone was laughing and I was awarded MVP of the game. It was pretty intense, but never again will I play against the Russians. They terrify me! 

The second soccer incident happened yesterday when I was playing with all American missionaries. Me and this other sister, who knows how to play sports right, were on the same team and we went for the ball that one of the elders had. Well all three of us collided pretty hard, and ended up in a pile on the ground. Now imagine this elders reaction when he realized he was on top of two sister missionaries... that was his first physical contact with a girl since he was set apart other than handshakes, and he was completely on top of me and this other sister. The confusion, distress, and pure panic that he experience was hilarious. Me and the sister laughed our hearts out as the poor elder frantically tried to extract himself. Not going to lie, it was the funniest thing I have ever seen. He felt so bad, and felt like the biggest sinner and rule breaker ever. It was great. 



Me & my companion Sister McWhorter
 

 I will encircle thee in the arms of my love
Other than that my week was boring and the same as it usually is here at the MTC. The same routine every day. But I am slowly becoming a stronger missionary because of it. Well, really quickly I want to share a spiritual thought with you all that I came across this week and it is the Saviors loving arms. In D&C 6:20 we read be faithful and diligent in keeping the commandments of God, and I will encircle thee in the arms of my love. There are all kinds of hugs. We have hugs from friends or loved ones. Hugs from your dad that make us feel safe, important and loved beyond description. But the most wonderful hug that we might ever receive is from our loving Heavenly Father. This is an embrace that we should desire above all others. It is a hug that caresses encouragement and eternal love, reminding us that He knows our potential and that He will do everything in his power to help us reach it. His hug is once of pure comfort. In John 14:18 we read that He will not leave us comfortless, He will come to us. He will heal the broken hearted and never leave or forget us. Even though I can't hug my dad, or any of my loved ones out here in Spain, I know that I can always turn to my Heavenly Father for the warm embrace that I desire, and He will comfort my troubled heart and worried mind. 
 

I love and miss you all! Thanks to those of you who continue to send me letters and emails. I apologize for not responding to those who have sent me emails. I have no time to email here in the MTC, but that doesn't mean that I am not reading what you send to me. I promise that once I am in the field and have more time, I will respond to each and every one of you. Thank you for the support, it means the world to me. until next time.

Love, Hermana Stilson


 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment