Thursday, October 23, 2014

Sharing the Gospel in the Park

Hi everyone, to start this email off I just want to give a HUGE shout out to all the missionary moms!! That package saved me and it couldn't have come at a better time!! Thank you all so much for all the love and work you pile into those boxes. I have watched you all put several of them together, but I never could have imagined the feeling of actually receiving them. You moms are absolutely amazing, and just know that I love each and every single one of you. I wouldn't have been able to make it though the week without your guys love. Well this week was one of stress, confusion, frustration, nerves, and Spanish... but seeing as those are all things that NO ONE likes, we are just not going to focus on them, I'll just skip to the good and happy parts. I am just going to tell you about the best part of my week, other than receiving my amazing package. So for those of you who don't know what happens every Saturday here at the Spain MTC, we have the opportunity to go to a HUGE park and try to talk to as many people as we can, place a few copies of the Book of Mormon, hand out some pass along cards, share a warm smile, say a cheerful Hola and bear testimonies with those we come in contact with. We basically get to proselyte. I love going to the park, there is always an amazing experience to get out of it. This last week was probably my favorite time that I have gone. So when I went to the park I was fortunate enough to talk and meet with one of the most cold hearted, stubborn, anti religious man I have ever met. He was all about talking with us and willing to hear us out just so that he could try to argue with us. I made enough small talk with the man (in English) to learn that he is a "religious parody" movie critic, who is from Brazil. He travels to other countries to watch their films and
this week he was working in Spain. Yay for us! He started off by asking who we were and what our purpose was to be walking around a park all dressed up talking to strangers. We thought that that was the perfect opportunity to share a quick message with him. So we introduced ourselves as missionaries of the Church and briefly explained that we are here to share our message of joy and happiness with those who desire to hear it. Well our short introduction was enough to get this man going. He proceeded to tell us that we were foolish for believing in such things and that religion is something that the desperate and arrogant make up to fulfill their/our selfish needs. He went on for a while and told us that we are terrible people and the only truly humble people in the whole world are Brazilians and ended by telling us that what we believe in. It is a lie and is wrong and false and made up, and that we are idiots for believing those things. He expressed how sorry he felt that such beautiful girls are stupid enough to make up and think we believe in something that never has and never will be true. At that point my comp was ready to bolt. The whole time he talked to us, I just felt this horrible feeling inside me and it just got worse as he talked. I realized that what I was feeling was pure sorrow and heart ache for this man. I so desperately wanted him to be able to find the happiness and joy in this life that I have found but he was just so cold hearted and not willing to budge on anything. Before my comp could run off crying, I shared a simple testimony with him
just letting him know that regardless of his opinion, I have happiness in knowing for myself that what I believe in is true. I told him that no one can tell me that I don't believe in something unless I don't believe for myself. I told him I was not ashamed of sharing my happiness with others or in declaring the word of Christ, because I know for myself that it is true. I finished by telling him that he won't ever know of these things unless he asks for himself. Then I grabbed his hand, thanked him for his time, and wished him the best. The look on his face as I turned to leave gave me hope that one day he will invite the missionaries into his life. I had never had my beliefs tested before, and because it was, I can now proudly say that I have a stronger testimony of this restored Gospel and Gods love for each and every one of us. Meeting that man was a huge blessing in my life. When I got back from the park I opened my scriptures and the first verse I read was Romans 1:16. it says "for I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to everyone that believeth." I am not ashamed of this Gospel. I will not be afraid to share its amazing message with all those I meet. I can do all things through Christ. I love you all. p.s. wish me luck, I head out for Barcelona on Tuesday!! I am so excited! I will also be on and emailing on Monday if any of you guys want to send me an email before then.

Love,

Hermana Stilson

No comments:

Post a Comment