Thursday, October 16, 2014

One month down, 17 to go!!!


One month down, 17 to go!!! The time is already flying by. It truly does not feel like I have been away from home for a whole month. It's crazy how fast the time flies. But this week has been uneventful to say the least. Just the same schedule as usual at the MTC. But I can proudly say that I have developed a new skill. I am able to make my bed with me still tucked into it until the very last possible moment, and then I finish it while still on top of it in the dark! I am a champ!! Definitely a lifelong skill right there!

Oh my goodness, I just remembered, last week I had the opportunity to go to the Prado Museum!!! I was beyond thrilled!! Ever since my art history class, I have made it one of my dreams to go there, and I did! It was incredible. It was amazing to see how religious people were thousands of years ago, and how they depicted the stories of the bible through art. Almost every painting in there was religious. And 90 percent of them were of Christ. It was so cool to read what the artist was expressing in their work, and how they viewed the life of Christ. Simply amazing and beautiful. If you ever have the opportunity to go to Prado, I highly suggest it!! It is worth it on every level.

Well, the Russians finally peaced out to hit the field. And guess what. The scary Russian elder who tried to kill me last week in the soccer game, actually had a little bit of a crush on me. I would walk into my class to find paper folded roses scattered across my desk, and notes in Russian asking me to add him on facebook and write and email him.... I guess if a Russian man likes you he will tell you by body slamming you to the ground. Who knew. But as tender as his actions were, I am slightly glad that he is now serving in the field. Hopefully he will now be able to focus on serving the Lord.  

 
The weather here went from summer weather one day to dark and dreary the next and I love it! It has been pouring rain all week long but the air is bitter cold, it feels like winter air, with straight rain. It's amazing! So one night you better believe that I snuck out of my prison cell before bed time with my companion, and we danced in the rain in front of the temple. We were soaked to the bone within a minute of standing out there... then a teacher walked out and saw us as he was leaving for the night. I thought we would be busted for sure, but all he said to me was, you're not supposed to be out here... I won't tell, your secret, it's safe with me. Then he walked away. haha i have some great teachers and I am loving this Spanish weather.

I apologize for the short and lame letter this week, I will try to be a little more enthusiastic next week. But I do have a spiritual thought for you all this week, and it's about the power of faith. In this church we believe that the first principle of the gospel is faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. Faith is the principle on which ALL gospel growth is built. Hoping for things not seen is the perfect definition of faith. We all know the saying seeing is believing but if we switch the order of the words around just a little bit we can apply it to faith a little better. Believing is seeing. Faith is what allowed the brother of Jared to seek and see the Lord. It was faith that allowed lepers to be healed and the blind to see. Through Moses's great faith the waters of the red sea were parted to save the children of Israel. It was only through faith that allowed Abraham to lay his son Isaac on the altar. Because of their faith in the Lord, the stripling warriors lives were saved as they fought for their fathers. Because of faith Joseph Smith he saw and heard God the Father and His Son Jesus Christ. And it is faith that will guide my life and bless my efforts as I search for the courage to open my mouth and share the wonderful message of Christ's restored gospel.

I love and miss you all. Keep the emails and prayers coming, they help me more than you can imagine.

Love, Hermana Stilson


No comments:

Post a Comment